Friday, February 17, 2012

Quiche Lorraine with Rosemary Crust

Do you ever think back about how your life was a mere two years ago? The Gabi of two years ago could never imagine that I'd be living in an adorable little lakefront cabin with the love of my life and our sweet little pup, playing and recording music that people actually like, enjoying a successful academic career, and cooking my heart out. Life is pretty wonderful when you stop asking questions, follow your heart, and let the pieces fall.

That being said, it's the small wonders in life that make everything magical, like the sound of the frozen ice crashing on the banks in the morning or the sweet surprise of sugar and homegrown Rosemary in a sweet little quiche crust! I bring you my latest and greatest quiche creation.

But first, I have to admit: Our cabin has the most perfect light and windows. Inside I am growing, Parsley, Rosemary, Thyme, Chives, Dill, Basil, Aloe, Ginger, Garlic, and my sweet little Vanilla Orchid. If you knew how small my kitchen is, you'd be thoroughly impressed with my set-up. I understand that it is hard and sometimes impossible to grow fresh herbs inside, but if you have the right light, you are doing a disservice to your cooking by not having these little gems in your life. In fact, not only do they taste wonderful, but my chives just started blooming the most gorgeous purple flowers: beauty and taste bundled into one small little adventure.

*Quiche Lorraine with Rosemary Crust

For the crust:
1 1/4 cup all-purpose flour (here you can substitute whole wheat if you wish)
2 tbsp chopped fresh rosemary (depending on your taste, you can go for 1 tbsp here, but I prefer the zing of the rosemary. You can also do half Rosemary/half Thyme)
1/2 tsp salt
2 tbsp cold butter, chopped in half
5 tbsp shortening cold, chopped in 5 pieces
4 tbsp ice water

For the filling:
6 slices of bacon (I always use Low Sodium Bacon, but again, it's your preference)
1 onion, sliced
3 eggs
1.5 cups of fat free milk (here I substituted with Lactose free Smart Balance, and I also sometimes use Coconut Milk as well. Additionally, it depends on how heavy you want your quiche, but you could use whole milk. The fat free makes it light and healthier.)
1/4 tsp salt
1.5 cups of Gruyere or Swiss Cheese (I'm in love with Gruyere right now, so I'll find any excuse to use it. If you have never had it, it tastes like a more mild Swiss cheese mixed with parmigiana. The next time I make this, I am going to do 1 cup Gruyere and 1/2 cup Swiss because the Swiss gives it a little extra punch.)
1 tbsp all-purpose flour (again you can substitute whole wheat here)

In a large bowl combine flour, salt, and rosemary. Using your hands (This is the fun part! It is the time to let out all of life's stresses), gradually add the butter and then shortening. The butter and shortening should form into pea size pieces. At this point, your dough will not be smooth. and your hand, while properly moisturized from the shortening, will certainly be messy. Fold in the water and mix until dough has formed. Again, using your hands spread the dough along a 9"properly greased pie plate. Put this in the refrigerator for approximately 40-60 minutes depending on how long it takes the crust to firm.

*During this time, I start my quiche filling to cut down on time.

Partially bake the pie crust:
While the crust is in the fridge, preheat the over to 375 degrees. Once the crust is firm put foil over it, and bake it for 25-30 minutes. When you remove it from the oven, feel free to carefully push down any bubbles. Remove the foil and bake the crust for 5 more minutes or until it's golden brown.

*Turn the oven up to 450 degrees once the quiche crust is finished.

Make the filling:
In a pan, I used a cast iron skillet because it really brings out the flavors, cook bacon until it is crisp. Depending on your stove, this should take about 5 or 6 minutes. Take the bacon out, and place it on a paper towel to drain. Using enough drippings from the bacon to grease the pan, cook the onions until they are soft; this should take about 3 to 4 minutes, and then drain them as well. I understand that this is not the healthiest method of cooking onions, but it is okay to live a little once in a while, but certainly not ALL the time.

In a large boil whisk together the eggs, milk, and salt. Add the onions and bacon to the egg mixture. In another bowl (sorry for all of the dishes, but you can clean them while the quiche is cooking, which I tend to do. Wash and go all the way!) mix together the flour and cheese. Add this to the egg mixture as well, and make sure that everything is evenly mixed.

*I was thinking that next time I make this, I may add some herbs to the egg mixture as well to give it a little extra something.

Pour the egg mixture in the pie crust and bake for 40 minutes. The cooking time for quiche is really up in the air, and it depends on when the eggs congeal. The cooking time of 40 minutes is when everything is at room temperature. If it's cold, then give it a little more time. The rule of thumb here is once you stick your knife through the center of the quiche and it comes out clean, like a cake, it's ready. But check it frequently because you do not want it to overcook.

Sit down with a glass of wine, enjoy life, and indulge in the important things!

Here's some music to whisk to. I first heard this song when I was in the grocery store, and it made my food shopping experience a little bit more jazzy:



No comments:

Post a Comment