Thursday, June 30, 2011

Wake Up and Smell the Coffee

Since summer has begun and classes are no longer in session, I spend my work days at home. I've saved a lot of money on random snacks, but have increasingly spent money on coffee. My coffee habit has gone from insane (six shots of espresso/day) to moderate (three cups of coffee/day). But getting out of the house seems priceless. However on a Starbucks budget, that means spending the hard earned dough. There is nothing like a Starbucks to make a coffee addict feel a false sense of inspiration and real sense of cliche: the struggling writer sitting at a coffee shop waiting and yearning for the big break. So, to give myself the same pick me up with a lesser impact on my wallet, I went to Home Goods and picked up Starbucks houseblend for $6.99.

I got home and quickly pulled out my Mr. Coffee machine. I looked intently down at it until I realized, I have no idea how to use this thing. It's true. I've been an avid coffee drinker since graduate school, and I have never brewed a cup of coffee myself. However, I could not let technology dominate me. I mentally fought with it, but soon figured it out. The battle had been won, and my kitchen began to swell with aromas of freshly brewed coffee. After letting it cool, I put it into the fridge. This is important because coffee can become bitter if you ice it right away. I was pleased with my end result, but I'm a coffee snob. I wanted to find new challenges and better flavors. And so, the coffee challenge began.


After my days worth of coffee brewing, I found another brew process; I am convinced that the 12 hour wait is worth it. I did a taste test. After taking a sip of this coffee followed by a sip of the traditional iced coffee, the lack of bitterness is evident. It's wonderful. For those of you that read this blog for the mouth watering effect, but lack cooking skills, this is the recipe for you:

1/3 cup ground coffee
1 1/2 cups water.

Pour the grinds into the water, and allow to sit covered at room temperature for 12 hours. Put the mixture through a strainer twice; I used coffee filters. This makes a coffee concentrate. Fill a container with equal parts coffee concentrate and water. This is the fun part because you can really taste test the strength of your coffee. Now go out, grab your iced coffee, and take a walk on the wild side.

Music to brew to:

No comments:

Post a Comment