Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Summer Lovin'

There is something both beautiful and equally frustrating about working for yourself. I can take off whenever I want, sort of. If that were true, I'd never be in my office (otherwise known as the kitchen); but what also comes with that sort of mentality is this guilty feeling of sitting inside while it's beautiful outside. So, for a little bit of time, I sit outside taking care of my garden. The tomato section is looking wonderful; I have two baby tomatoes that I inspect daily. I'm most proud of my small herb garden. It consists of Dill, Parsley, Thyme, Rosemary, Basil (two big pots), Chives, Mint, and Lavender. With these herbs, I've made my a plethora of foods. Each time I make them, I continuously repeat, "This is made with herbs from our garden," with increasing excited intensity each time the words pour from my lips. I'm like a mother watching my children grown.

As I continue to search for recipes, my focus is on eating locally; you cannot get more local than your backdoor. Two days ago, I made the Dill Shrimp Salad that I posted last summer. My dill gave me an extra zing of pride, which, though completely mental, created an extra satisfying flavor to the meal. I thought, "how could I possibly top that." The answer came in two huge pots overflowing with mature basil leaves: PESTO!

Photobucket

Pesto is pretty simple, and there are tons of variations. However, this pesto is both delicious and economical because it substitutes pine nuts with shelled pumpkin seeds. These are cheap and accessible in your local grocery store. Additionally, the fresher the ingredients are the better the pesto will taste. Pesto is great because it exists as a dip, spread, and a pasta topping. It also keeps well in the freezer. Plus how much fresher can you get than right outside the back door! Picking the basil leaves was probably the most exciting part of this pesto. I threw it over some sliced zucchini, mushrooms, and tri color pasta. Thank you to Moosewood Restaurant Cooking for Health for this delicious flavorful combination of basil and tomatoes. It is much different than any basil I've had before, and for that I'm thankful.

Before I give away my secret recipes, I have to note that there is nothing better than good wine and great music to set the cooking juices and inspiration flowing. I've decided to add a music while you cook segment to this blog:


I make sure to crank it loud, sing, and dance while I stir. It's my not-so-secret ingredient for anyone that lives with me or who I've shared a cooking experience with. You can take the instrument from the girl, but the music will forever live in her heart. Shake it like a salt shaker, right?

Pepita (Shelled Pumpkin Seeds) and Tomato Pesto

Yields: 1 3/4 cups
Time: 20 Minutes

1/2 Cup Sun-Dried Tomatoes
1/3 Cup Shelled Pumpkin Seeds (Pepitas)
2 Garlic Cloves, Chopped (I threw in three because my garlic was not super fresh)
1/3 Cup Olive Oil or Extra-Virgin Olive Oil
2 Packed Cups Fresh Basil Leaves
1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Tomatoes (The freshness of the tomatoes is important because it gives it texture and flavor)
1/4 (or two cranks of my sea salt grinder) teaspoon salt
Generous Dash of Ground Black Pepper

In a small pan bring to a boil the sun-dried tomatoes covered with water (about 5 minutes). Drain and chop.

Throw everything into a food processor. Give it a swirl until everything is smooth or to your desired texture.

One serving = 2 Tablespoons

Calories: 81
Protein: 2G
Carbs: 3G
Dietary Fiber: 1G
Total Fat: 8G
Sodium: 84mg

This book is absolutely fabulous. I got it for Christmas, and have read it cover to cover as my mouth salivates. The tastes, smells, and calories/fat saved are worth the $24.99.

In the meantime, I'm working on my own Vanilla Extract, Vanilla Essential Oil, Mint Oil, Ice Coffee, and Green Tea Concoctions. My new website should be up soon (GGRoseOrganics.com) with options to purchase the lotion from my previous post, face mists, shampoo, but also will be the new home of my blog. In the meantime, eat your pesto hot or cold, but do not anticipate leftovers for long. I write this, as I just polished off last night's dinner, yum.




No comments:

Post a Comment